How do you feel after a workout? Ready to take on the world? You also want to feel just as good about your skin after your workout.
And that's why you probably wonder what should you do for your skin after a workout?
Well, this is a question we often hear, and it's undeniably an integral part of your skin care routine.
Your skin is your body's largest organ, and it deserves to look its best. For that reason, it's important to keep your skin looking healthy and glowing after a workout.
Here at KOYA Skin, we've put together a list of questions on skin care routine after workout that'll help you:
- Learn how to treat your skin and yourself with extra love and care post-workout
- Ensure that your skin stays healthy and glowing through every sweat session
- Understand what type of products are best for your skin care routine after your workout
By keeping these following five questions in your mind, you'll make informed decisions about how to take good care of your skin after you burn it out at the gym.
Table of Contents
- What Can I Apply to My Skin After a Workout?
- Should I Take a Shower Immediately After a Workout?
- Can I Exfoliate After a Workout?
- How Do You Prevent Acne After Working Out?
- What Can I Eat After a Workout?
- What's the Best Post-Workout Skin Care Routine Solution?
1 - What Can I Apply to My Skin After a Workout?
The short answer is any natural lightweight body lotion that's not greasy. The reason: You don't want to clog your pores.
Your skin needs to breathe well after strenuous exercise.
If you've ever had a bad reaction to using skincare products after working out, it's probably because they were too heavy for your skin. So, the first rule of thumb is to always choose a lightweight body lotion when treating your skin after a workout.
Apart from choosing residue-free products for your skin, you also need to keep the following in mind:
- If your skin is dry, try a hydrating face mask while in the shower. It'll help lock in moisture and exfoliate dead skin cells to reduce skin breakout risks.
- If you have oily skin, try an oil-free moisturizer. This will lock in moisture without adding more oil to your already oily complexion.
- If you have sensitive skin, look for products that are specially designed for such skin types.
KOYA Sensitiv+e is one such great product. It's gentle, hypoallergenic, and contains natural ingredients, such as vitamin C, which moisturizes and nourishes sensitive skin.
- If you want to even out your skin tone and reduce fine lines, choose an anti-aging product.
Again, after sweating from your workout, be sure to wash off any excess sweat before applying moisturizer so that the product doesn't clog pores or leave residue behind (which can lead to breakouts).
It’s important to note that everyone's skin is different. What works for one person may not work for another. So don't be afraid to experiment.
2 - Should I Take a Shower Immediately After a Workout?
Absolutely! You've just spent hours sweating and exercising, so it's important to get all that sweat off your skin ASAP. Take a shower or bath right after working out.
Why? Because sweat contains oils, salt, and bacteria that clog your pores, leading to acne, skin breakouts, or other irritations.
If this happens, it can make it harder for your skin to absorb all the nutrients you need during the day, which means that your skin may look duller and less vibrant.
However, sometimes (especially if you're running late), you just don't have time for a full shower. That's where body wipes come in handy.
If you don't have time to shower immediately, wipe yourself down with a pre-soaked towelette and apply body lotion to especially dry areas.
Face wipes and deodorants are also great because they clean up your skin without taking too much time out of your busy schedule. They help remove sweat and dirt while also moisturizing your face with natural ingredients like aloe vera and coconut oil.
Plus, they make you feel fresh again, so even if you have to run off to work or school after the gym, you can still look like you made time for yourself.
The bottom line is, the sooner you can clean up after a workout, the better.
3 - Can I Exfoliate After a Workout?
YES! Exfoliating after a workout is a great way to remove dead skin cells and sweat from your skin so you can get the most out of your skincare products.
But there are some considerations to remember:
- Make sure you don't use too much pressure. You can damage your skin if you scrub too hard.
- Always use an oil-free, gentle cleanser or wash with warm water. Be sure to rinse thoroughly afterward.
- Exfoliate before applying any products to your face, like moisturizer or sunscreen.
- Use an exfoliating scrub once or twice a week. But not more than that! Excessive exfoliation can irritate the delicate surface of the skin and cause irritation or even damage.
4 - How Do You Prevent Acne After Working Out?
If you've ever had a workout and then seen your face break out in acne, you know it can be super frustrating.
So, what do you do if your face is all red and covered in zits?
- Don't wear too much makeup to the gym: A lot of makeup can make you more prone to acne. It clogs your pores and prevents them from breathing properly. This will cause bacteria to build up in your skin and create more acne breakouts.
- Keep hair off your face: You don't want the oil on your hair to mix with sweat on your skin, so keep your hair away from your face. Try using a bobby pin to flatten the side wisps or putting it up in a ponytail or bun.
- Wipe down shared gym equipment: If you're sharing gym equipment with other people, it's likely to be covered in germs, bacteria, and sweat.
Consider using an extra towel to wipe down any equipment before you use it.
- Try not to touch your face: Keep your hands away from your face as much as possible to avoid spreading bacteria.
- Clean up and change sweaty clothes: After working out, it's important to wash off the sweat and change into fresh clothes as soon as possible. This will help prevent sweat from building up on your skin and causing breakouts.
5 - What Can I Eat After a Workout?
After working out, replenish your body.
Below is a table of what you need to eat post-workout and why.
|What It Does
|Eggs, salmon, chicken breast, lean meats
|Help repair muscle tissue after a workout
|Whole grain bread and pasta, fruits, rice, sweet potatoes
|Replenish your body after a workout by increasing sugar levels and giving you energy
|Nuts, avocado, olive oil, peanut butter
|Supply your body with energy and helps build muscle tissue
After losing water through sweat, it's also important to stay hydrated after working out, so make sure you drink enough water.
While there are no definitive guidelines for how much water you should drink each day due to individual variability (such as workout length and intensity), there are some things you can do to make sure your body is properly hydrated.
For instance, weigh yourself before and after your workout and replace fluid losses.
Also, if your urine is dark yellow or orange, chances are that you're dehydrated and need to drink more water.
Remember, some foods are better than others for replenishing your body with nutrients after exercise. Just make sure your post-workout intake is high in carbohydrates and protein.
What's the Best Post-Workout Skin Care Routine Solution?
An effective skin care routine after your workout is the key to your best skin, and it doesn't have to be complicated. If you're looking for a way to keep your skin in tip-top shape, check out KOYA Active Body Lotions. They'll keep your skin looking and feeling great with our antioxidant formula.
Our workout body lotions are made with natural ingredients like vitamin C and green tea that help hydrate and soothe your skin after a workout.
They're specially designed for the needs of active people like you.
"Thank you for creating such lovely unfragranced, fast drying products! These are perfect."
— Salty Hampers
With our body lotions, you'll feel refreshed and ready to go, whether you're headed straight to work or to relax at home.
If you're ready to step up your post-workout skincare game, visit KOYA Active Body Lotions and make your order today.
Share on Facebook: