You know how celebrity athletes always seem to have perfect skin?
Think of your favorite dancer or wrestler/ They’re always showing off their stage-ready skin (and glistening muscles!), yet even sweat doesn't seem to affect their tone.
You must be thinking, surely they’ve access to high-end skincare products that help them maintain even-toned skin.
This might be true, but the fact is the most effective skincare for an active lifestyle is actually very simple, natural, and inexpensive.
Today, we’ll share some ideas for skincare for an active lifestyle to help you get that natural glow and also:
- Fight skin breakouts you’re prone to from constant sweating
- Control oil and sweating during the day
- Restore and repair irritated skin
We’ll also explain how a moisturizing body lotion can replenish skin that’s constantly under pressure.
Table of Contents
- Stay Hydrated
- Use a Natural Moisturizer
- Establish a Skincare Routine
- Cleanliness Is Next to a Natural Glow
- Make Healthy and Glowing Skin a Reality With KOYA Skin
1 - Stay Hydrated
Water is indeed life!
Not only is 60% of your body made of water, but so is 90% of your blood.
Every system and organ in your body, including your skin (which is, by the way, the largest body organ), needs water to function. It acts as the main building block of cells and helps transport nutrients to every part of your body.
For your skin, this means faster growth of healthy skin cells as your skin regenerates itself.
Some other benefits of staying hydrated:
- Helps flush out toxins: Toxins in your body contribute to premature aging, wrinkles, and an uneven skin tone. Staying hydrated enables your kidneys to flush out these bad guys that leave your skin looking flawed.
- Maintains your skin’s pH balance: Your skin is naturally acidic with a pH of 4.7 to 5.75, which helps it fight harmful bacteria that can cause aging and an uneven skin tone. An active lifestyle, however, means that you’re constantly sweating, which can change the skin’s pH level.
Water has a neutral pH value of 7 that’ll help balance a lower or higher pH level on your skin.
- Replacing lost fluid: As a dancer, athlete, or active mom who’s constantly on the move, sweating is part of the job. Staying hydrated will help replace fluid lost when sweating and prevent acne breakouts caused by dehydration.
So, how much water does your body need to sufficiently remain hydrated?
Health experts recommend eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily; an equivalent of 2 liters of water.
An active lifestyle, however, means you sweat more and use more energy, which means you need even more water. A good rule of thumb is to divide your body weight by 2 and drink an ounce of water for every pound.
For instance, if you weigh 160 pounds, you need to drink 80 ounces of water daily (160 divided by 2).
Here are three tips to help you remain hydrated during the day:
- Always keep a bottle of water with you at all times.
- Set reminders on your phone to drink water every three hours.
- Always drink a glass of water before meals.
2 - Use a Natural Moisturizer
Just as your body needs hydration to function properly, so does your skin.
Properly hydrated skin is more resilient to environmental irritants, like dust and dirt, that you’re constantly exposed to when involved in physical activity.
To keep your skin properly hydrated, you need to apply a natural moisturizer at least twice a day.
Natural moisturizers are made from plant extracts, which are sustainable sources and good for the environment.
Additionally, plant extracts have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help form a skin barrier. This helps protect your skin from pollutants, like dirt and smoke, that can cause an increase in free radicals, which cause infections.
But not all natural moisturizers work well with an active lifestyle. For starters, you need to choose between body oils and lotions.
While body oils are much thicker and help lock moisture into your skin, lotions are much more lightweight. They absorb more quickly into the deeper layers of your skin, which helps soften and soothe your skin.
The table below shows the differences between lotion and body oil.
|Lightweight and absorbs quickly into deeper skin layers||Thick and can clog pores, causing skin blemishes|
|Has a water content of at least 65% that hydrates your skin||Has little or no water content|
|Absorbs quickly and leaves no greasy residue after sweating||Absorbs slowly and leaves a layer of residue on the skin|
Additionally, make sure the moisturizing lotion doesn't include any chemical nasties or artificial scents that irritate your skin.
A natural moisturizing body lotion free of chemicals will form a skin barrier that protects you from irritants you’re exposed to all day long. It’ll also soothe and replenish your skin after a day full of physical activity.
KOYA Skin has a line of body lotions specifically designed for skincare for an active lifestyle. Our lotions absorb quickly, leave no greasy or sticky feeling, and are made with natural plant extracts, free of nasties and artificial scents.
3 - Establish a Skincare Routine
Maintaining a skincare routine is crucial for your skin’s health. In addition to sweating, your skin is also shedding dead cells every day as it regenerates itself.
The build-up of sweat, dirt, and oil can trigger breakouts, which is why you need to establish a routine to help your skin look its best.
The ideal skincare routine for an active lifestyle must include the following steps:
- Cleanse: Use a mild cleanser to wash your face and body after working up a sweat. A mild cleanser will strip away sweat and dirt on your skin that can clog your pores and leave you with an uneven skin tone.
- Exfoliate: This will help remove dead cells on your skin that build up and leave your skin looking dull. Use a body scrub that feels grainy, while showering two to three times a week.
- Moisturizing: Once you’re all cleaned up, apply a moisturizing body lotion to soothe and hydrate your skin after exfoliating. Moisturizing after showering will also keep moisture from the shower trapped in your skin, which keeps it moist and plump.
- Sunscreen: This is absolutely crucial to protecting your skin from harmful UV rays from the sun, which can cause premature aging. Apply a broad-spectrum water-resistant sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 to protect your skin from sun damage.
Expert Tip: Avoid using soaps labeled “anti-bacterial” since they can alter your skin’s pH by destroying healthy bacteria. This can cause the development of skin allergies and inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne and eczema.
4 - Cleanliness Is Next to a Natural Glow
The number one enemy to a healthy skin tone is dirt and dust pollution. Small particles of dirt can penetrate into your skin and cause premature aging, acne breakouts, and even skin conditions like eczema.
This is why we believe, in regards to a healthy skin tone, cleanliness is next to a godly glow.
The following tips will help you keep pollutants away from your skin:
- Wash your hands regularly: Your hands are the first point of contact with dirt and germs. Washing them regularly (not just after using the bathroom) will minimize the transfer of germs from your hands to the skin and protect it from irritants.
- Wipe sweat away: Sweat can be a good thing since it's one of the ways your body detoxifies. However, if you let sweat linger on your skin, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.
Use a bamboo or polyester towel to wipe sweat away during the game or workout. Bamboo and polyester fabrics dry faster, which prevents the buildup of moisture, which is a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Replace your towels: Drying your clean skin with a dirty towel exposes it to germs that can easily penetrate and cause skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
On the other hand, old towels won’t dry you well and are more likely to retain bacteria and germs.
To ensure you remain clean and sparkly after drying, wash your bath towel every two to three days and replace towels older than two years.
Make Healthy and Glowing Skin a Reality With KOYA Skin
So, are you ready to up your skincare game?
KOYA Skin body lotions are specifically designed for an active lifestyle like yours. All our body lotions are made with natural plant ingredients that’ll help hydrate and replenish your skin, giving it a smooth and even tone.
They contain these three key ingredients:
- Vitamin E: Helps to nourish and visibly tone your skin
- Horsetail: Promotes firmer and tighter skin by boosting collagen production
- Ginkgo Biloba: Soothes and hydrates your skin
What’s more, our lotions contain no nasties or artificial fragrances that irritate sensitive skin. They absorb quickly and leave no greasy, sticky residue that’ll clog your pores.
“Loving the changes in my skin. Absolutely agree it leaves no oily residue. Perfect for looking my best while playing with no side effects.”
— Melissa Barbieri
Pick one of our performance-based body lotions shown in the table below for healthy and glowing skin with your active lifestyle.
Share on Facebook: